Spartans are popularly known for being one of the toughest guys of ancient history. If you’ve watched the film “300,” it’s actually pretty neat to know that the film isn’t entirely fictional, and that an actual outnumbered army of Spartans prevailed over Persians.
Why are we talking about an old film featuring an ancient army of badasses? Because we have a Kraken in our hands - the Kraken pre workout that is.
Introduced to the market by Sparta Nutrition, Kraken promises to be an extreme pre workout among other things. What it means by extreme, will find out later in this review.
Is Kraken pre workout an effective pre workout powder? Is it worth bearing the Sparta name? Let’s find out!
- Great Pumps
- Transparent Blend
- Pretty Clean
- Good overall dosage
- Unnecessary ingredients
- Higher priced than others
About Kraken Pre-workout
Sparta Nutrition has been in business for years. They’ve drawn quite a good following largely due to their high quality line of gym accessories and supplements. They’re known for protein powders, but they also sell BCAAs, fat burners, keto supplements, and of course pre workouts. Here’s what we noticed:
- Formula transparency. You can see every ingredient from first to last.
- Long formula. Longer than the usual ones we review.
- Two servings please. They offer a flexible dosing scheme for newbies and old users.
- Hefty dosing. Lots of grams in the formula.
Kraken: Supplement Facts
Other Ingredients: Gum Acacia, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Silicon Dioxide, Calcium Silicate, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Citric Acid, Potassium Chloride
Directions: As a dietary supplement, take 1 to 2 scoop (s) of Kraken with 8-10 oz of water. Consume 30 minutes prior to exercise. Do not exceed recommended daily intake.
Kraken Pre-workout: Ingredient List
- B-Vitamins. B Vitamins are easily depleted throughout exercise. The muscles either use them up or you lose them when you pee or sweat. Thought B vitamins are added by the thousand percent, we’re surprised to see so few in one serving.
- Citrulline. Citrulline is a key ingredient for nitric oxide production. Nitric oxide is a compound used to produce pumps. More pumps means harder and heavier lifts. The 4 gram dosage is great, but the form citrulline is plain and not the best for absorption. .
- Beta Alanine. Beta alanine is a two-way endurance and muscle recovery ingredient. The dosage is good, but it could also lead to itching.However, this itching could mean it’s working.
- HydroMax Glycerol Powder (65%). This premium form of glycerol is a rare addition in many pre workouts. It’s known for boosting muscle hydration, endurance, and increasing muscle pumps.
- Taurine. Taurine also works like glycerol, but it also provides benefits to fatigue and stress. It’s also commonly found in energy drinks and is the secret behind the sudden happy feeling after drinking energy from a can.
- N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine. Also known as NALT, this compound is a mood and focus enhancer. NALT is also the best form of tyrosine for bioavailability and brain boosting benefits.
- Gallate as Vaso-6. It’s not everyday you see something like Vaso-6 in a pre workout. From what we found, this ingredient helps boost nitric oxide production. It’s also been proven to increase vasodilation (widening of the blood vessels for better blood flow) by up to 50%. The 300 mg dosage is optimum based on the company’s website.
- TeaCrine. TeaCrine is a premium energy source that confers energy boosting properties without the drawbacks of high-dose caffeine.
- Caffeine. The 250 mg caffeine dose is a really good amount that gives you energy and focus without worrying too much about the side effects. It’s akin to just 2.5 cups of coffee.
- Theobromine. Many use theobromine for energy boosting nowadays, but we just don’t see any promise with it.
- N-Methyl L-Tyramine. First and foremost: Tyramine is banned in sports. It’s banned because it’s a stimulant that works like synephrine, a compound that spikes your metabolism by tweaking your thyroid to produce more fat burning hormones.
- Cocoa Seed Extract. Another alternative energy source, but at a really small dosage. Makes you wonder why they bothered adding it in the first place
Thinking about ordering Kraken? We've put in the research so that you don't have to!
Who is Kraken for?
Kraken Pre-workout is formulated for users to get pumped, but are tired of the usual ingredients and formula design. More than pumps, it also has an innovative approach to stimulation and fat burning.
What are Kraken Pre-workout’s benefits?
Expect to get massive pumps, a really sizeable dose of energy, and quality lifts.
Kraken: Side Effects
Beta alanine at 3.2 grams is likely to make users itchy, but it’s temporary and is a sign that it may be working. The 250 mg caffeine is just 2.5 cups of coffee, and most can handle it without the usual jitters and crashing. However, if you hate coffee then you will probably have issues with this much caffeine.
Also, it has Tyramine. It’s banned in sport and if you plan on competing, it’s smarter to not get Kraken and instead go for a recommended supplement by your coach or sports organization.
Kraken Pre-workout: pros and cons
- Transparent blend. Tough supplements don’t hide.
- Good dosing. Almost every ingredient is really decently dosed.
- Almost clean energy. If only TeaCrine wasn’t that expensive.
- Focus. The 500 mg NALT is really, really good for a pre workout.
- Unnecessary ingredients. You can remove three ingredients and it will still be the same formula.
- Pricey. Premium dosage plus two servings suggestion = bad for the long term.
- 1 Can (40/20 servings): $49.99
- Available online and in retail stores
- Flavors: Bombsicle, Rainbow Candy, Sour Gummy Bear, Sex on the Beach, Cotton Candy, Cola Pop, Watermelon Candy
Kraken pre workout is a really potent pre workout capable of giving you a good time at the gym. Properly dosed ingredients where it matters, sizable pumps, solid energy boosts, and a good angle on mental focus. The formula will excite other users, some will find it too ambitious.
The only nitpicks we have are the redundant additions in the formula and of course the premium price tag. If you have some cash lying around and like to try something new, Kraken Pre-workout is the right pre workout for you.
Enjoyed this review of Kraken? Consider buying it through our link!