Taking supplements for gym day has become the norm for a lot of fitness enthusiasts. Because the trend with taking a scoop of flavored powder for performance, focus, and results seems to be not going away anytime soon, supplement companies have tried to develop all sorts of blends and whatnot. All this to satisfy a market that’s continuously rising and seems to always want something new.
However, not all supplements are made equal, especially if you’re a pro athlete. Some companies just dump whatever they want into powders, not taking into account substances or trace chemicals banned by sports organizations.
So if you’re a pro athlete, your supplement choices are pretty limited, but the people at Cellucor want you to know that they got you covered with their C4 Sport Pre-Workout
C4 Sport Pre-Workout is described as a powder formulated with a nitrogen-containing compound designed to build lean muscle mass, maximize performance, and increase strength in all athletes. Take note: ALL ATHLETES. This means they have the necessary certificates and passed all sorts of tests to make sure they are viable options for the sports industry.
However, can being “sports ready” make a supplement weak? Read our C4 Sport Pre Workout review to find out.
C4 Sport Review
- Premium ingredients
- Great pricing
- Simple formula
- Small dosing
- Not very strong
- 1 About C4 Sport Pre-Workout
- 2 C4 Sport Pre-Workout: Supplement Facts
- 3 C4 Sport Pre-Workout: Ingredient List
- 4 Who is C4 Sport Pre-Workout made for?
- 5 What are C4 Sport Pre-Workout’s benefits?
- 6 C4 Sport Pre-Workout: Side Effects
- 7 C4 Sport Pre-Workout: pros and cons
- 8 Pricing info
- 9 C4 Sport Pre-Workout: Summary
About C4 Sport Pre-Workout
C4 Sport Pre-Workout wants to give athletes the relief of not sounding the alarm whenever they have a surprise “substance” test. After all, a lot of supplements today don’t exactly declare everything they nor provide certifications to prove that their powders are clean. To an athlete, it’s always nice to know that the powder they’re taking won’t get them banned from competition so they can focus on training instead of worrying. Here’s what we also noticed:
- Five Key Ingredients. Not counting vitamins and minerals, we have five key ingredients in the formula which initially looks alright given the serving size is kinda modest at 9 grams.
- Prop blends. So much for being transparent.
- Premium stuff. At the very least, we see a lot of brands.
C4 Sport Pre-Workout: Supplement Facts
Other Ingredients: Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Calcium Silicate, Silicon Dioxide, Sucralose, Polydextrose, Acesulfame Potassium, FD&C Blue #1.
Directions: Take one serving (1 scoop) of C4 Sport®, mixed with 6-8 fl. oz. of water 20 - 30 minutes before training. During your workout, it is recommended that you drink plenty of water. Some individuals may experience a harmless tingling sensation, which is attributed to beta alanine.
Thinking about ordering C4 Sport? We've put in the research so that you don't have to!
C4 Sport Pre-Workout: Ingredient List
- Vitamins and Minerals: We have Vitamin B6, B12, Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, and Potassium. Nothing out of the ordinary here, folks. The B vitamins are used for energy metabolism and to help replenish lost nutrient stores during exercise. The minerals function as electrolytes not only to help with hydration and prevent muscle soreness, but to also aid in nutrient absorption.
C4 Sport Performance Blend
- Micronized Creatine Monohydrate: Creatine monohydrate is top dog when it comes to pre workout ingredients. It’s one of the most widely studied ergogenics on the planet, and far too many studies cite its benefits for performance, muscle growth, and recovery. The micronization helps creatine be more readily absorbed and not cause the bloating side effect many experience with this amazing pre workout ingredient.
We quote:“The above review indicates that creatine supplementation has positive effects on amplifying the effects of resistance training for enhancing strength and hypertrophy; and in improving the quality and benefits of high intensity intermittent speed training.”
- CarnoSyn® Beta-Alanine: Beta alanine is the second-most popular pre workout ingredient (unless you count caffeine) and it can help directly influence muscle performance and muscle recovery. As CarnoSyn, this form helps reduce the itchiness caused by a lot of beta alanine.
However, we do note that some people actually want the itchiness because to them, it’s a sign that the ingredient is working.
- Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate: Sometimes called AAKG, this ingredient acts as a pump booster, but more of a supporting ingredient than the main source of it. We also have to note that while we do like to have AAKG here, it’s not exactly the best at what it does. Combine that with the fact that the dosage isn’t looking pretty, we have some doubts over this ingredient’s efficacy.
C4 Sport Energy Blend
- Taurine: This evergreen pre workout ingredient is actually quite versatile in terms of function and health benefits. For working out, taurine can help users with a bit of pump via water hydration. And because it’s good with hydration, it also helps cells function better during intense workouts, preventing muscle dehydration which can lower the risks of muscle injuries.
“[Taurine] was effective in increasing taurine plasma levels and decreasing oxidative stress markers, which suggests that taurine may prevent oxidative stress in triathletes.”
It also works best with caffeine which C4 Sport Pre Workout has.
- Caffeine Anhydrous: Perhaps the only ingredient here that doesn’t need any real explanation. You either love it or hate it, but it always works regardless. The problem is, we only have it at 135 mg. Now, mind you, we think 135 mg is not bad considering it’s more than a cup of coffee. However, when was the last time anyone in the gym said “Oh, I’ll just have a cup of coffee and this should hold me while benching 250 lbs for the next hour and a half”?
Who is C4 Sport Pre-Workout made for?
C4 Sport Pre-Workout is definitely marketed to pro athletes or at least those who want to make it big in pro sports. It can also be marketed to those who are amateur, but also regularly test for banned substances for whatever reason. Lastly, C4 Sport Pre Workout is ideal for those in the office who regularly take pre workouts, but are also aware that company HR might conduct a random drug test.
What are C4 Sport Pre-Workout’s benefits?
C4 Sport Pre-Workout is more of a quick energy and strength boost and not so much a pump supplement. The ingredients also scream “Don’t drop it!” instead of “Lift harder!” What we’re trying to say is, to someone who’s a veteran when it comes to high intensity pre workout formulas, C4 Sport Pre Workout is tethering towards the safe side of both dosages and ingredients used.
But, we can’t really argue with that issue given sports organizations can be too strict with regards to whatever they find in their athletes.
C4 Sport Pre-Workout: Side Effects
The main sources of side effects will likely come from either beta alanine or caffeine.
Beta alanine at large doses can cause itchiness, often in the arms and legs, but sometimes also the face. Good thing we have beta alanine as CarnoSyn as it does reduce the itchiness or at least its duration.
Caffeine at 135 mg is not really that high if you consider how most lifters drink coffee and energy drinks like an essential part of our diet. The 135 mg caffeine is equivalent to about 1.3 cups of coffee give or take. However, if you’re not fond of caffeine at all, you may experience jitters, anxiety, and lots of sweat before and during the workout.
C4 Sport Pre-Workout: pros and cons
- Premium ingredients. Lots of fancy stuff for the pros.
- Simple formula: The entire label may seem bulky or wordy, but you’re really looking at five ingredients. The vitamins and minerals are only there to make it look like they have a ton to offer.
- Good price. You can get 30 servings for just $20.00. Depending on your budget, this can either be a good discount or practically free.
- Lack of dosing. Premium or no premium, you can’t just buy your way out of good dosages. .
- Prop blends. We really think this is a bad move in general, but especially because the supplement aims for sports transparency.
- Not that strong. We get that pro supplements don’t have much leeway when it comes to what they can add and how much, but we think C4 Sport Pre Workout could have done so much better.
- 1 Container (30-Day Supply): $19.99; 20% off + free shipping with subscriptions
- Available online and in retail
- Flavors: Watermelon, Blue Raspberry, Fruit Punch
C4 Sport Pre-Workout: Summary
C4 Sport Pre-Workout is as sports friendly as it can get. It does away with all the usual “controversial” ingredients in a pre workout (such as herbals and other extracts) and plays it safe with conventional, yet also premium ingredients in their formula. To say that the product didn’t have much thought behind it would be an insult, given it takes a lot of brainstorming to come up with something that’s both good for sport and good for general use.
With that said, we think C4 Sport Pre Workout could have given us a better formula. Even if you do remove the majority of popular pre workout ingredients, it always helps to compensate with the dosages. As it is, the formula is more of a “nice” than an “AWESOME!”
Regardless, C4 Sport Pre-Workout is at the very least a safe recommendation for pros and amateurs who want to start clean.
Enjoyed this C4 Sport pre-workout review? Take a look at where we're finding great prices: