Many pre workouts put energy and strength at the top of the priorities when formulating a new product. While there is nothing wrong with that approach, we can’t help but feel saturated with virtually all the products out there just copying the work of the other. Most companies are like this, but C4 is different. C4 has been in the game for too long to not be known as an innovator in the industry, and today we’ll get to explore one of their rather unique take on a pre workout in the form of C4 Ripped.C4 Ripped Pre-Workout is unlike any other pre workout we’ve reviewed so far. Instead of going all in on the usual pre workouts, C4 Ripped Pre-Workout has some fat burning angles to it. The idea is to build on people’s efforts to lose weight by means of burning fat and not muscle.
Because too many people have a really bad diet, and when they workout they end up losing muscle. C4 Ripped Pre-Workout’s formula is said to be designed to avoid that.
Can C4 Ripped Pre-Workout be the alternative pre workout we all need or will it be a nail that deserves to be hammered down? Let’s go find out.
- Premium ingredients
- 3 Blends
- Good Burn
- Could be better
- Not huge on energy
About C4 Ripped Pre-Workout
C4 Ripped Pre-Workout is described as a pre-workout supplement that combines the explosive energy of C4 with ingredients specific to fat loss. This formula is further stated to help you train harder while supporting your body’s ability to burn fat.
As for the formula itself, here are some of the things we noticed:
- Removed creatine on purpose: This is a big one, because just about everyone agrees creatine is the best pre workout ingredient you can take. Their reasoning is simple: You don’t want to take creatine when your aim is to lose weight. Does this make sense overall? We’ll see when we analyze their ingredients list.
- Enough energy for your training: Kinda odd, but so far we’re only seeing 150 mg caffeine as the declared stimulant. We’ll just have to take a harder look once we get to the formula later on.
- Premium ingredients: It wouldn’t be a C4 product if it didn’t contain premium brands.
C4 Ripped Pre-Workout: Supplement Facts
Other Ingredients: Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Calcium Silicate, Silicon Dioxide, Natural Flavors, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, FD&C Red Lake #40Directions: Take one serving (1 scoop) of C4® Ripped, mixed with 6 fl. oz. of water 20-30 minutes before training. During your workout, it is recommended that you drink plenty of water or a performance beverage such as Cellucor Alpha Amino® to stay hydrated. Some individuals may experience a harmless tingling sensation, which is attributed to beta alanine. USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.
Thinking about ordering C4 Ripped? We've put in the research so that you don't have to!
C4 Ripped Pre-Workout: Ingredient List
- Vitamins and Minerals: We have Vitamin C, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12, and Calcium. These aren’t exactly essential by any means, but they are handy for replenishing lost muscle stores after a good bout of exercise. Not to mention B6 and B12 come in their premium, highly bioavailable forms.
- CarnoSyn Beta Alanine: Beta alanine is a well-respected pre workout ingredient, considered a staple in any pre workout formula. It’s earned its reputation as a bonafide endurance booster as well as recovery enhancer.
CarnoSyn is the number one brand when it comes to beta alanine. Not only does CarnoSyn promise a more bioavailable form of this amazing ingredient, but they also promise to have a reduced tingling experience - a side effect that’s both unwanted and sought after by many beta alanine users, with the latter reasoning that it’s simply a sign that the ingredient’s working.
- Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate: This ingredient is meant to act as more of a pump support ingredient for the likes of citrulline malate or other nitric oxide boosters. However, we don’t have them here in C4 Ripped Pre Workout, and 1 gram is a bit too low for our liking.
- C4 Ripped Blend
- L-Carnitine Tartrate: This ingredient was one of the most popular fat burners in the early 2000’s and was virtually added in just about every sports drink and even healthy snacks. What it does is it helps funnel fatty acids into our cells where our cells would convert them into cellular energy. The more energized your cells are, the more efficient your systems become.
- Green coffee bean: Green coffee bean is known to contain chlorogenic acid or CGA. CGAs boost fat burning by simply triggering the body’s natural ability to convert fat into energy.
- Capsimax Cayenne: Cayenne is just a universal fat burner. It makes you sweat, it makes our meals exciting to eat, and it's just a spice that we can’t live without at this point. The capsaicin content promotes thermogenesis, or the body’s ability to burn fat for heat. As Capsimax, we’re getting the most premium form that not only promises purity, but also a less burning sensation for our gut.
- Coleus Forskohlii: Coleus Forskohlii activates cAMP, a substance that jumpstarts the entire fat burning process. It can also work by making our thyroid produce more fat burning hormones.
- Explosive Energy Blend
- N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine: This form of tyrosine is well known for its stress and focus benefits. You may shrug it off as a waste of dosage, but hard workouts paired with the stress of dieting can really get to you, and we think adding N-Acetyl-Tyrosine is a good move.
- Caffeine as caffeine anhydrous: More than just a stimulant, caffeine can also double as a fat burner as it does bump our energy expenditure a bit. At 150 mg, we’re getting about 1.5 cups of coffee, so it’s not as strong as some of C4’s other products.
- Velvet Bean: This is more of a testosterone booster than anything related to energy. We’re not convinced that it’s a good energy ingredient, but we do say the testosterone effect could help with a bit of muscle development.
So based on what we’ve seen, C4 Ripped Pre-Workout is about ⅓ fat burner and ⅔ pre workout, except the pre workout part isn’t as well-dosed as the fat burner blend. We do respect the synergy, but C4 Ripped Pre-Workout could have been better if they dosed their pre workouts just a bit more.
Who is C4 Ripped Made For?
C4 Ripped Pre-Workout is definitely marketed towards two types of customers:
- C4 fans who have been clamoring for a pre-workout and fat burner blend.
- People who aren’t fond of creatine in their pre workouts
The first one is self-explanatory, but the second one goes a bit deeper with context. People who have trouble losing weight would definitely not want something that contributes to making them weigh more on the scale. Creatine, on top of the benefits it gives, has a tendency to also make the body store water weight or increase water retention. So, eliminating creatine was actually a good idea in this case.
C4 Ripped Pre-Workout’s highlights definitely involve a decent fat burning with a not-so-bad lift and pump on the side.
The main sources of side effects will likely come from either beta alanine or caffeine.
Beta alanine’s known to cause some tingling sensation, but this is just the molecules passing through your body. This goes away after a good workout session, but some people don’t like it regardless.
Caffeine at 150 mg shouldn’t be too hard even for non coffee drinkers. That’s 1.5 cups of coffee which will be taken for strenuous physical activity, and caffeine would be used up to the last drop. Just a good FYI, some of the common side effects of caffeine ingestion are jitters, crashing, etc.
C4 Ripped: Pros and Cons
- Premium ingredients: We have plenty of premium ingredients to go around.
- Three blends: Separated the pre workout from the fat burner and the energy blends. Very organized.
- Good burn: Not super hot, but hot enough to warrant the claim of fat burner.
- Pre workout game is modest: Not good enough for a pre workout, if we’re to be honest.
- Prop blends: It would have been better if we knew the exact dosages of each ingredient.
- So-so energy: 150 mg caffeine may be too weak for most users.
- 1 Container (30-Day Supply): $39.99; 20% off + free shipping with subscriptions
- Available online and in retail
- Flavors: Raspberry Lemonade, Ultra Frost, Cherry Limeade, Fruit Punch, Icy Blue Razz
C4 Original Pre-Workout: Summary
C4 Ripped Pre-Workout is understandably a blend of fat burners and pre workout for a shot at bringing the best of two worlds in one can. And they mostly got it right.
The fat burners they used are pretty good and respected in the weight loss category, especially with the brands they used. Add that to the caffeine content which also synergizes for a good thermo-energy boost, and you have a bonafide fat burning product.
The issue is with the lackluster pre workout blend they offered, but this is expected. Pre workouts in general require lots of doses for optimum performance, but maybe C4 Ripped Pre-Workout just settled with a half and half for both marketing and pricing reasons.
Despite the pre workout issues, we think C4 Ripped Pre-Workout is a really good pre workout-burner to recommend.
Enjoyed this C4 pre-workout review? Consider getting it here: