When it comes to taking the pre workouts, you get a mixed bag of ingredients all designed to help you get a better workout and return stronger the next day. Despite all the complex blends, fancy ingredients, and whatever clinical study to back the claims up, the one thing a pre workout should always do is energize you.
Like, if your pre workout doesn’t even remotely make you want to release steam by benching or pressing, then maybe you got the wrong workout. Fortunately, Cellucor has something that’s actually meant to energize you in an extreme way, and it’s calledC4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout.
C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout is described as a pre workout that gives more than just a little bit of energy. They also say it’s a product designed to help you get up and go, and rise to any challenge. And as they compare it to C4 Original, they claim C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout as the next step for those who want that extra rush. Its formula features more focus and more endurance than C4 Original.
So, how extreme is C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout? Read our review to find out.
- Premium ingredients
- Ton of energy
- Good synergy
- Needs more pump
About C4 Extreme Energy
C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout seems to be heavily marketed to those who are well acquainted with C4 Original, but want something stronger. They say C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout contains patented ingredients and formulated with clinical studies in mind. Here’s what we also noticed:
- 9 Key ingredients. It seems this formula is a lot like C4 Extreme, but with a scoop or two more of dosage for some of their key ingredients. The serving size of 8.5 grams is not bad for 9 ingredients total.
- Premium feel. They weren’t lying when they said this has a lot of patented and premium brands.
C4 Extreme Energy Supplement Facts
Other Ingredients: Silicon Dioxide, Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Polydextrose, Calcium Silicate, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Potassium Chloride, FD&C Red#40Directions: Take one serving (1 scoop) of C4® Extreme Energy, mixed with 6-8 fl. oz. of water 20-30 minutes before training. During your workout, it is recommended that you drink plenty of water or a performance beverage such as Cellucor® Alpha Amino to stay hydrated. Some individuals experience a harmless tingling sensation, which is attributable to beta alanine. USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.
Thinking about ordering C4 Extreme Energy? We've put in the research so that you don't have to!
- Vitamins and Minerals: We have Vitamin C, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folic acid, Vitamin B12, Potassium, and Calcium. The usual bunch of vitamins and minerals we get to see in just about every C4 formula at this point. And as per their high quality standards, we get the premium forms of Vitamin B6 as Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate and Vitamin B12 as Methylcobalamin.
- CarnoSyn® Beta-Alanine: Starting hot and heavy is Beta alanine in the premium brand of CarnoSyn. Beta alanine has taken the pre workout world by storm in its early days and has since been a staple ingredient for good reasons. First, beta alanine can help delay fatigue which already helps in letting you workout more. Second, beta alanine can also improve strength and performance. Lastly, beta alanine can also have a hand in boosting muscle recovery. Really handy for one ingredient, and the 3.2 gram dosage is pretty much a good standard across many pre workouts.
The problem is, high doses of beta alanine has been known to make people feel itchy or have a tingling sensation, mostly in the arms, but sometimes also the face. It’s simply how the molecules are grazing you under your skin and should go away after you’re done working out. The CarnoSyn brand actually helps reduce this itching sensation.
- Creatine Nitrate (NO3-T®): Quite a controversial addition not because it’s ineffective, but because there’s only one study to date that says this ingredient is better than plan creatine mono. What it’s supposed to do is not only do the good things creatine can do, but also boost pumps. However, we think you should just leave the pumping to the next ingredient.
C4 Extreme Energy Blend
- N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine: Tyrosine is often taken for focus and to help reduce the stress of dieting or working out. This form of tyrosine is the premium version of that and it’s much more bioavailable than plain tyrosine.
- Caffeine Anhydrous: True to its name, we’re getting an extreme dose of caffeine at 300 mg. We’re saying it’s extreme, because for most people, drinking three cups of coffee in one shot is not exactly what you would call a simple wake up drink.
- Velvet Bean (Mucuna pruriens) seed extract (standardized for L-Dopa): This is more of a testosterone booster than anything. There’s hardly any evidence for it in an energy blend, so it’s kind of weird seeing it here and taking dosage from other ingredients.
- Theacrine (as TeaCrine®): Theacrine is the blend of theanine and caffeine that helps sustain energy. This sustained energy can prevent crashing, or the sudden drop of energy shortly after caffeine’s energy spike ends. This is actually really great to have, but we think what would have been better is the equivalent dose of theanine to help neutralize some of caffeine’s side effects.
- Rauwolfia vomitoria root bark extract: A relative of the controversial yohimbine, rauwolfia works by tweaking our thyroid to produce more fat burning hormones for energy.
- Huperzine A (from Toothed Clubmoss (Huperzia serrata) aerial parts extract): Huperzine is yet another nootropic similar to tyrosine, except this one is mostly taken for focus purposes. It also functions in tiny doses, so it’s not bad to have it for last. In fact, we should always count on it being last in a blend, because any higher and it could be an overdose.
Who is C4 Extreme Energy Made For?
C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout is definitely made for fans of the C4 Original, but want more out of the pre workout. The similarities with C4 Original (as well as other C4 pre workouts) is uncanny, yet C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout differentiates itself by simply going all out on caffeine and to an extent, its strength enhancers.
What Are The Pre-Workout's Benefits?
C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout is capable of giving you that maximum energy you need for all your lifting pleasure. More than that, we also see it as a decent pump booster and an overall recovery and fatigue-busting pre workout. It’s not as impressive as something like C4 Ultimate, but there’s a reason why C4 Ultimate is much more expensive and C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout is more affordable.
C4 Extreme Energy: Side Effects
The main sources of side effects will likely come from either beta alanine or caffeine (or perhaps both).
Beta alanine’s dose at 3.2 grams could cause you to feel itchier than usual, but the CarnoSyn brand is known for purity and for reducing that side effect. However, it’s still a bit heavily dosed, so don’t expect a scratch-free experience.
Caffeine at 300 mg is around three cups of coffee, give or take. Even to an avid coffee drinker, taking 3 cups of coffee in one shot is pretty strong. So, be wary of jitters, sweats, and the crash - even with TeaCrine to help you.
Pros and Cons
- Premium ingredients. They didn’t like when they said they have patented brands.
- Synergy. The dose could be modest overall, but we do see evidence of formula synergy.
- Max energy. 300 mg caffeine is anything but weak.
- Okay price... It’s not super cost effective, but the premium ingredients make the price feel like good value.
- Needs more pump. That’s all they need to further make this an extreme pre workout.
- Prop blend. We want to know doses for each ingredient.
- 1 Container (30-Day Supply): $34.99; 20% off + free shipping with subscriptions
- Available online and in retail
- Flavors: Strawberry Kiwi, Cherry Limeade, Icy Blue Razz, Lemon Drop
C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout: Summary
C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout is designed to cater for C4 Original fans, but we think it can also hold its own outside their personal market. What sets C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout apart from competition is the heavy presence of premium ingredients, while what makes it fade into the background is the rather mild dosing and generic take on pre workouts.
Still, C4 Extreme Energy Pre-Workout is a good buy for those who want to try something premium and effective, and it’s not exactly a hard product to recommend.
Enjoyed this C4 pre-workout review? Consider getting it here: